New BDS 6.5" Long Arm Suspension System for Jeep Cherokees (XJs)
Sep 17, 2006
BDS Suspension has released a 6.5" 4-link long arm suspension system for the Jeep Cherokee XJ. This kit provides the ultimate in strength and protection with a heavy-duty, high-clearance belly pan. No welding to the uni-body is required or recommended. Extended length, adjustable upper and lower control arms create a true long arm 4-link system. The system includes BDS Ultimate Sway Bar Disconnects, a new steering stabilizer, front extended bump stops and all new stainless steel brake lines. Rear 5" leaf springs with extended length shackles provide serious flex. An extreme drop pitman arm and adjustable front track bar are matched perfectly to provide smooth controlled steering for excellent on and offroad handling without any bump steer. This kit allows up to a 33x12.50 tire on a 15x8 wheel. Backed by BDS' famous " warranty, this looks like a very promising kit.
- True 4-Link Long Arm design. Control arms are set up for optimal caster and pinion angles through the full range of suspension travel.
- Full width, fully integrated belly pan adds rigidity to the system and provides solid mounting points for both the upper and lower control arms.
- The ¼" steel belly pan replaces the thin, weak factory piece. The belly pan also provided ½" more clearance between the control arms mounts compared to the factory crossmember while factory transfer case/transmission position (no drop or lift).
- Addition belly pan support is achieved with new side plates that "sandwich" the belly pan between themselves and the uni-body. These bolt though the uni-body frame with crush sleeves for added strength.
- No welding is required. No welding is recommended. Welding to the uni-body will cause fatigue and possible breakage. This system uses ¼" material that cannot be safely welded to the thin gauge uni-body construction.
- An optional transfer case skid plate bolts directly to the new belly pan and has an additional tie-in to the uni-body frame giving ultimate protection and support for those who need it.
- Adjustable upper control arms (1-3/8" OD, 3/16" wall) have flex ends at the belly pan end to increase flex and eliminate binding. These are necessary for the proper placement of the control arms to achieve the best possible suspension angles through wheel travel.
- Adjustable lower control arms (1-3/4" OD, ¼" wall) are design to handle the abuse of offroading. They are positioned so that a standard bushing-to-bushing design or flex end can be used. The bushing-to-bushing design provided the best handling and ride quality while the flex end design gives maximum articulation.
- The lower control arms are positioned so that the factory suspension triangulation is retained providing factory-like handling characteristics. These arms are also positioned so that the consumer has the option of retaining their factory lower control arm mounts. They run slightly lower then the front driveshaft to ensure that they are going to hit that rock ledge before the driveshaft does.
- Both upper and lower arms use greaseable ends.
- The BDS flex ends are completely rebuildable and do not require any special spanner-type wrenches to install.
- The system features the BDS ultimate sway bar disconnects.
- An extreme drop pitman arm and adjustable front track bar are matched perfectly to provide excellent on and offroad handling without any bump steer. The track bar is relocated at the axle and not dropped at the frame. Adding a track bar drop bracket at the frame adds increase stress to the uni-body, so we avoid it.
- The system includes a new steering stabilizer, front extended bump stops and all new stainless steel brake lines.
- Rear shock bar pin eliminators ensure a sturdy mount for the new rear shocks. No more loose, clunking bar pins. The new mounts allow for the shock bushings to be compressed the proper amount which increase the life of the bushing as well as eliminating noise.
- Rear 5" replacement leaf springs w/extended length shackle. Longer shackle design gives extra necessary lift and allows for better flex with the high arched leaf springs.
- Suggested tire size is 33 x 12.50 on a 15x8 wheel with 4-5/8" back spacing. A 35 x 12.50 tire will clear with trimming – recommend for on road use only.
- Slip yoke eliminator and CV style rear drive shaft is required.
- System works on 4.0L motor and automatic transmission equipped vehicles only. The measurement from the front of the OE transmission crossmember to the back of the lower control arm pocket should be approximately 14" on these vehicles. This quick measurement will ensure proper fitment. (D = 14")
In The News - Main Menu